Hyacinth Girl Press is currently OPEN to POETRY submissions.
Poetry Chapbook Submissions are OPEN from April 1st through June 30th, 2017!
The 2017 reading period for Hyacinth Girl Press will be in the form of a chapbook contest! Hooray?
Rather than just have an open reading period, this year we are having an open reading period with a cash prize of $175.00 for one of the manuscripts selected for publication. This year's reading period is POETRY ONLY.
- We open for submissions on APRIL 1ST and close at midnight on the night of JUNE 30TH.
- All manuscripts must be between 8 and 25 pages in length. This page count includes the poems themselves, any section breaks, dedications, epigraph, or notes pages, and illustrations in the case of illustrated chapbooks (black and white only, please), but does not include the table of contents, title, or acknowledgments pages.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted and encouraged, but please please please do let us know immediately if your manuscript is picked up elsewhere so we can celebrate with you and be as organized as possible! - Submissions will be accepted by email only - hyacinthgirlpress at gmail dot com - please include a cover letter. Bios are optional.
- Manuscripts must be sent via email as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf attachment.
- Individual poems in your manuscript may have been published elsewhere, but we do require that the manuscript itself has not been previously published.
- Only one submission is permitted per poet. This includes collaborative manuscripts and cases where a manuscript is picked up for publication elsewhere before you hear back from Hyacinth Girl Press. Please do not request to send a new, edited version of your manuscript after your initial submission. If your manuscript is selected for publication, we will happily work with you on edits.
- One poet will be awarded a prize of $175.00 and publication of their chapbook, slated for early 2018.
- We may select up to two additional manuscripts for publication. If we do choose more than one manuscript to publish, at least one manuscript selected for publication (the winner or one of the other two we may select) will be a poet currently residing in Pittsburgh, PA or the surrounding area.
- All authors selected for publication will receive 10 author copies of their chapbook and a full print run. Only one winner will be awarded the cash prize.
- This contest is FREE TO ENTER, though your chances of sending us a winning manuscript will greatly increase if you are familiar with what we publish. So we very very strongly encourage you to buy a chapbook from us so you can get an idea of what we are into. This is also the only way we raise money for the press, so help us pay more poets in the future and buy a chapbook!
- There is only one human person reading all submissions, and we receive hundreds of submissions each reading period, so please allow up to 2 months after submissions close for a response.
Hyacinth Girl Press is currently closed for prose submissions. Details on the next submissions period for prose will be posted here when they are available.